The White House has released President Obama’s National Strategy for Information Sharing and Safeguarding. This plan “aims to strike the proper balance between sharing information with those who need it to keep our country safe and safeguarding it from those who would do us harm.” The plan establishes guidelines for information sharing at the Federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial levels. While it does not specifically mention it, some experts hope that the plan will lead to an increase in the sharing of information about cyber attacks.
The five goals of the new strategy are to:
- Drive Collective Action through Collaboration and Accountability;
- Improve Information Discovery and Access through Common Standards;
- Optimize Mission Effectiveness through Shared Services and Interoperability;
- Strengthen Information Safeguarding through Structural Reform, Policy, and Technical Solutions; and
- Protect Privacy, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties through Consistency and Compliance.
Article formerly posted at https://www.hsdl.org/blog/newpost/view/s_4693