DHS Releases Interagency Strategy for Promoting Naturalization
The Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently released the Interagency Strategy for Promoting Naturalization to promote naturalization through citizenship education and awareness and by building capacity and expanding partnerships.
As required by Executive Order 14012 on Restoring Faith in Our Legal Immigration Systems and Strengthening Integration and Inclusion Efforts for New Americans, the U.S. Departments of Homeland Security (DHS), Education (ED), Health and Human Services (HHS), State (DOS), Labor (DOL), Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Defense (DOD), Justice (DOJ), Veterans Affairs (VA), Agriculture (USDA), and the Social Security Administration (SSA) established the Naturalization Working Group (NWG) to develop a national strategy to promote naturalization. Each of these agencies provided meaningful contributions which enabled the NWG to develop a comprehensive whole-of-government approach.
Naturalization Working Group goals include:
- Raising awareness of the importance of citizenship;
- Promoting civic integration and inclusion;
- Providing immigrants with opportunities and tools to become fully engaged citizens;
- Building community capacity to prepare immigrants for citizenship;
- Eliminating sources of fear and other barriers that prevent individuals from accessing available naturalization services; and
- Advancing and ensuring equity throughout the citizenship and naturalization processes, including on the basis of race, disability, language access, national origin, gender, gender identity and sexual orientation, and providing support to traditionally underserved communities.
For more information on topics related to this piece, please see the Homeland Security Digital Library (HSDL) Featured Collection on Immigration or additional USCIS Documents housed within the collection.
Please note: HSDL login is required to view some of these resources.
Need help finding something? Ask one of our librarians for assistance!