Hayward Fault Earthquake Categories: 10-October, Earthquakes Timelines: Natural Disasters
October 12, 1868:
An earthquake with a magnitude of 6.8 struck the region of San Francisco Bay. It lasted for more than 40 seconds and is considered one of the most destructive earthquakes in California’s history, regardless of the sparse population of the time. Shaking could be felt as far as Nevada, and aftershocks lasted for weeks following.—(USGS)
- Approximately 30 fatalities reported.
- Estimated Damage Cost: $350,000 (1868) (approx. 5.8 million today)
- HSDL Featured Topic: Earthquakes
- Hayward Fault-Is It Due for a Repeat of the Powerful 1868 Earthquake?
- 1868 Hayward Earthquake: 140-Year Retrospective: RMS Special Report
- HSDL search results for: Hayward Fault Earthquake