January 9, 1857:
A magnitude 7.9 earthquake struck on the San Andreas Fault from near Parkfield to approximately 300 km away near Wrightwood. The quake could be felt from Marysville to San Diego, and east to Las Vegas, with strong shaking lasting from one to three minutes.—(USGS)
- 2 fatalities reported (SCEDC)
- Estimated Damage Cost: Uncertain. Potential damage in the billions if occurred today.
- HSDL In Focus: Earthquakes
- 1857 Fort Tejon Earthquake: 150-Year Retrospective
- Seismic Waves: Southern Californians Are Being Dared to Prepare
- HSDL search results for: Tejon Earthquake
Photo: (Credit: U.S. Geological Survey) An isoseismal map for the 1857 Fort Tejon earthquake.