Resetting the Approach to COVID-19
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to grip the United States and we see the number of cases rise, the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) has released The Way Forward on COVID-19: A Road Map to Reset the Nation’s Approach to the Pandemic.
The AAMC is made up of 172 accredited medical schools in the U.S. and Canada, and has over 400 teaching hospitals and medical systems. Having medical professionals working on the frontlines of the pandemic, AAMC proposes an evidence-based approach to tackling COVID-19 that centers around 9 immediate actions to be taken:
- Remedy critical supply and drug shortages.
- Increase availability and accessibility of testing.
- Establish national standards on face coverings.
- Establish and enforce national criteria for local stay-at-home orders and reopening protocols.
- Establish national criteria for K-12 school reopenings and convene a working group to study different approaches.
- Immediately expand health insurance through COBRA [Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act].
- Begin planning now to prioritize distribution of the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine.
- Address and resolve health care inequities.
- Inform, educate, and engage the public.
The report concludes stressing the need for longer-term actions to prepare for future pandemics, and suggests that the U.S. broaden its health insurance coverage as well as put more funding into all its public health infrastructure.
Please note: HSDL login is required to view some of these resources.
Need help finding something? Ask one of our librarians for assistance!