Reimagining Workforce Policy in the Age of Disruption: A State Guide for Preparing the Future Workforce Now
The National Governors Association has released Reimagining Workforce Policy in the Age of Disruption: A State Guide for Preparing the Future Workforce Now. This report was developed as a tool for states to ready themselves for future disruption to the American workforce.
Workforce disruption refers to any major changes to the workplace or to the roles of workers, and is often the result of new and emerging technologies. According to the authors, there are five technologies that most significantly contribute to workforce disruption due to their propensity to cause change in the industry:
- Automation, including robotics, robotic automation in fintech [financial technology] and autonomous vehicles (AVs)
- Additive manufacturing and 3D printing
- AI [artificial intelligence] and machine learning (ML)
- The IoT [internet of things]
- Cloud-based technology
Ultimately, to be best prepared for future workforce disruption, the authors identify three transformations that state leaders are encouraged to work towards:
- Transformation 1: Build a statewide ecosystem to promote continuous lifelong learning
- Transformation 2: Invest in an agile, technologically resilient workforce
- Transformation 3: Enable every worker to participate in the workforce of the future through comprehensive support
Please note: HSDL login is required to view some of these resources.
Need help finding something? Ask one of our librarians for assistance!