Cybersecurity Awareness Month: 2021 Toolkit
Was the Facebook and Instagram shutdown on October 4, 2021 just a ploy for Cybersecurity Awareness Month? No, unfortunately, it wasn’t, but in an era of hacking, phishing, and data breaches, it certainly reminded us just how important cybersecurity resilience is. In honor of Cybersecurity Awareness Month, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) and the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) have released their 2021 Toolkit. Useful for government agencies and private industries alike, this toolkit provides a variety of resources “to ensure every American” can “stay safe and secure online while increasing the resilience of the Nation against cyber threats.”
Specifically, the toolkit provides the following and more:
- Four Weekly Key Messages – Week 1: Be Cyber Smart; Week 2: Fight the Phish! Week 3: Explore. Experience. Share. and Week 4: Cybersecurity First.
- Engagement Ideas – Examples of how to get people interested and involved. This year, to promote awareness, the social media campaign themes of “Do Your Part. #BeCyberSmart” and #CybersecurityAwarenessMonth are being utilized.
- Tips to Share – Seven tips on how to use the internet safely.
- Resources – Important informational links to share.
- Communications Calendar – Guidance for what to share and when.
- Sample Communications – Sample blog posts and emails.
Other helpful resources can also be found here on the CISA website.
The HSDL also offers many additional resources related to cybersecurity. Visit the Featured Topics section for more on Cyber Crime & National Security, Cyber Infrastructure Protection, Cyber Policy, and Electronic Surveillance. Please note that an HSDL login may be required to view some of these resources.
Need help finding something else? Ask one of our librarians for assistance!