Books & Journals
Because the HSDL focuses on open source and freely available information, we do NOT generally collect books or journals unless they are available for free downloads. This page is presented as courtesy to help you locate current and scholarly book and journal information from various library catalogs, book vendors and major publishers. Your ability to get copies will be dependent on the collections held by your organization. Your local library will likely also have access to other online catalogs and may have subscriptions to some of the commercial electronic databases. Please do not email us to request copies of books as we will not be able to provide them. You can either contact your local library or purchase directly from the publisher.
Online Sources for Books
- Amazon Books. As well as doing a basic search, you can narrow or browse by category of sort by various elements such as price, date, or review.
- Barnes & Noble. You can do a basic search, browse by category, see the new releases and check the coming soon list.
Online Books available for Free
- Brookings Institution Press. Online catalog
- National Academies Press. This website provides free page-by-page access to their various reports and books. Topics include: Agriculture, behavioral & social science, computers & information technology, conflict & security issues, energy, engineering & technology, health & medicine, transportation& infrastructure and more. Homeland security titles, Transportation collection
- Rand. As well as selling copies of their books and reports, this non-profit site offers free PDF copies of their reports. Reports and Bookstore. Research areas. Research areas include: education, health & health care, international affairs, national security, public safety, science & technology, terrorism & homeland security, and transportation & infrastructure.
- Online Books Page. This lists over 25,000 free books on the web.
Online Sources for Journals
Major Publishers & Free Indexing Sites
- Academic Press [see Elsevier]
- ACM [Association of Computing Machinery] Digital Library. Subject area: computers and computing
- Air University Library Index to Military Periodicals. Subject areas: The Air University Library’s Index to Military Periodicals is a subject index to significant articles, news items, and editorials from English language military and aeronautical periodicals
- Blackwell [see Wiley]
- Cambridge. Advanced Search. Subject areas include: agriculture, animal science, biomedical sciences, business, computer science, economics, engineering, law, mathematics, medical policy & medicine, physical science, plant science, politics & international relations, regional studies, psychology, religious studies and more.
- CiteSeer Scientific Literature Digital Library. CiteSeer is a scientific literature digital library that provides algorithms, techniques, and software that can be used in other digital libraries. CiteSeer indexes Postscript and PDF research articles on the Web.
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ). DOAJ offers free full text access to quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals, covering all subjects and many languages.
- Elsevier [ScienceDirect]. Advanced Search. Subject areas include: agricultural & biological sciences, built environment, business, management & accounting, chemical engineering, chemistry, computer science, decision sciences, economics & finance, energy & power, engineering & technology, environmental sciences, forensics, health professions, life sciences, material sciences, mathematics, medicine, physics, psychology, social & behavioral sciences and more.
- Emerald. Subject areas include: accounting, auditing & economics, education, engineering & materials science, healthcare management, information management, logistics & supply chain management, operations & production management, police management, public sector management, quality management and more.
- PubMed. PubMed is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine that includes over 16 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles back to the 1950s. PubMed includes links to full text articles and other related resources.
- Google Scholar. Subject areas include: “Google Scholar provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature. From one place, you can search across many disciplines and sources: peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, abstracts and articles, from academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories, universities and other scholarly organizations.”
- Henry Stewart Publications. Journals by title.
- Highwire Press. Advanced Search. Subject areas include: biological sciences, humanities, medical sciences, physical sciences and social sciences. Many articles are available for free.
- IEEE. Advanced Search. Subject areas include electronics, electrical engineering, computer science and more.
- Inderscience. Subject areas include computing and mathematics; Economics and finance; Education;energy and environment;risk, safety and emergency management;science, engineering and technology
- Ingenta. Advanced Search. Subject areas include: agriculture & food sciences, biology & life sciences, chemistry, computer & information sciences, earth & environmental sciences, economics & business, engineering & technology, mathematics & statistics, medicine, psychology, social sciences and more.
- Mary Ann Liebert. Advanced search. Subject areas include: medical, biomedical, engineering, law, psychology and public health and more.
- MCB University Press [see Emerald]
- ME Sharpe. [See Taylor & Francis Group]
- Open Access: Publishing in European Networks. Advanced Search. Search areas include humanities and social sciences.
- Oxford. Advanced Search. Subject areas include: law, life sciences, mathematics & physical sciences, medicine, social sciences and more.
- Palgrave. Subject areas include: business & marketing, economics, education, finance, information systems & technology, statistics, political science & international studies, social & cultural studies and more.
- PubMed Central. Advanced Search. Subject areas: PubMed is a free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature.
- Sage Journals. Advanced Search. Subject areas include: agricultural, biological & food sciences, area & ethnic studies, business & management, communications & media studies, counseling & psychotherapy, criminology & criminal justice, cultural studies, economics & development studies, education, engineering, environmental sciences, family studies, geography & environmental sciences, health sciences, history, mathematics & statistics, politics & international relations, psychology, research methods & evaluation and more.
- Springer [including Kluwer]. Advanced Search. Subject areas include: biomedical sciences, business & management, chemistry, computer science, economics, education, engineering, environmental sciences, geography, geosciences, law, life sciences, mathematics, medicine, philosophy, physics, psychology, public health, statistics and more.
- Taylor & Francis [includes Frank Cass and Routledge]. Subject areas include: agricultural & biological sciences, business & management, chemistry, computer science, economics & econometrics, education, energy & power, engineering & technology, environmental sciences, geography, health science, life science, materials science, mathematics, psychology, science, social sciences and more.
- University of Chicago Press. Advanced Search. Subject areas include: social sciences, education, biological & medical sciences and physical sciences.
- Weston Medical Publishing. Subject areas: health care, disaster medicine & emergency management.
- Wiley . Advanced search. Subject areas include: business, chemistry, computer science, earth and environmental science, education, engineering, law, life sciences, mathematics and statistics, medicine and healthcare, physics and astronomy, polymers and material science, psychology, and social science.
Some specific individual journals not associated with a publishing house
- Chem-Bio Defense Quarterly
- Emerging InfectiousDiseases
- Emerging Issues in American Policing Digest
- FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin
- Fire Chief Magazine
- Health Affairs
- Homeland & National Security Law Review
- Homeland Security Affairs Journal
- International Journal of Mass Emergencies & Disasters (IJMED)
- Johns Hopkins Public Health Magazine
- Journal of Homeland Defense & Security
- Journal of National Security Law & Policy
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)
- National Institute of Justice (NIJ) Journal
- Police Chief Magazine
- Security Management Online
- Surveillance & Society Journal
- United States Attorney’s USA Bulletin