Biden Administration’s Interim National Security Strategic Guidance
The Biden administration has begun work on creating a new National Security Strategy, in the meantime, the White House has just released their Interim National Security Strategic Guidance. As President Biden states in his foreword, “I am issuing this interim guidance to convey my vision for how America will engage with the world. […] The simple truth is, America cannot afford to be absent any longer on the world stage. […] America is back. Diplomacy is back. Alliances are back. But we are not looking back.”
The interim guidance presents a current picture of the “Global Security Landscape,” addressing potential threats to the safety of the U.S., threats to democracy across the world, and the impact of emerging technologies, such as artificial intelligence. The main portion of the guidance describes in detail our top national security priorities. Among the key points touched on include:
- Expanding economic prosperity and opportunity;
- Realizing and defending the democratic values at the heart of the American way of life;
- To reinvigorate and modernize our alliances and partnerships around the world;
- Our trade and international economic policies must serve all Americans, not just the privileged few;
- Our strength abroad requires the United States to build back better at home; and
- Decisively responding to the public health and economic crises unleashed by COVID-19.
Please note: HSDL login is required to view some of these resources.
Need help finding something? Ask one of our librarians for assistance!