This Timeline includes a variety of events and milestones related to homeland security and emergency management. It replaces our previous calendar highlighting Anniversaries and Commemorations, and provides similar information in a more robust and user-friendly format.
Each entry on the timeline contains a brief description of the event, its significance, and a selection of related resources. See the Pulse Nightclub Shooting for an example.
The Timeline can be viewed as a whole, or can be filtered to view events in one of four main groupings:
- Attacks – significant terrorist attacks, bombings, shootings, and other intentional acts
- Natural Disasters – earthquakes, hurricanes, extreme weather, and other naturally occurring disasters
- Man-made Disasters – non-intentional, human-influenced disasters and accidents
- Milestones – legislation, government actions, and selected documents of particular significance
It can also be filtered by Month to view all the events occurring in a specific month, across all years. For example, April is a surprisingly eventful month in the history of homeland security.
Events included in the Timeline have been chosen for their significance in terms of:
- located in United States or targeting U.S. citizens/property abroad
- loss of life or injury
- damage to environment or property
- monetary loss or economic impact
- legislative impact or government response
- historical interest
New events will be considered and added as appropriate.
Comments and suggestions are always welcome and may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.