20 Years After 9/11: A Selection of Webinars
As the U.S. approaches the 20 year anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, the lasting impacts of that day are still evident two decades later; from changes in government policy and first responder training to building construction safety standards. As the event that marked the beginning of the war on terror, 9/11 forever altered international security and the nature of global warfare.
To commemorate 9/11, the HSDL has selected upcoming webinars from various research centers and think tanks, highlighting personal memories as well as global repercussions. Among these webinars is a seminar from the National Maritime Historical Society titled Remembering the 9/11 Boatlift: The Largest Water Evacuation in American History. This event is a tribute to the maritime efforts that successfully evacuated more than 500,000 civilians in just 9 hours- a rescue effort coordinated by the New York City Fire Department and the U.S. Coast Guard. It will begin with a screening of the short documentary film Boatlift: An Untold Tale of 9/11 Resilience narrated by Tom Hanks and will continue with a panel discussion.
To examine the lasting impact of 9/11 globally, the Wilson Center will host a virtual event with a regional focus on the Middle East, South Asia, and Europe. Global Impact of 9/11: Twenty Years On will feature a discussion with experts on the legacy of 9/11 with regard to regional instability, jihadism, politics, and U.S. global leadership.
Related webinars include:
- Chicago Council on Global Affairs, Legacy of America’s Longest War
- Oakland University, 9/11 Twenty Years Later
- International Forum of Terrorism Risk (Re)Insurance Pools, 9.11: Two Decades of Disruption
- Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies, 9/11 Attacks from a Historical Perspective
- Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs, Twenty Years Since 9/11: Grey Wars, American Values, & the Future of National Security
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, America’s Response to 9/11: A CIA Retrospective in the Words of Those Who Led the Way – A Panel Discussion
- Brookings Institution, 9/11, 20 Years Later: Legacies and Lessons
- Australian Strategic Policy Institute, The Road from 9/11: The Evolution of Counterterrorism and Extremism
For 9/11 discussions not requiring registration, HSDL has added the following Podcasts:
- Council on Foreign Relations, Seven Podcasts Worth Listening to About 9/11
- Federal Bureau of Investigation, Remembering 9/11: Attacks 20 Years Ago Shaped Today’s FBI
Need help finding something? Ask one of our librarians for assistance!