Army Corps of Engineers: Section 7001 Report on Future Studies and Projects [Updated May 5, 2022]   [open pdf - 718KB]

From the Document: "The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) undertakes water resource development studies and projects and other assistance activities that are specifically authorized by Congress, typically biennially in Water Resources Development Acts [hyperlink] (WRDAs). In Section 7001 of the Water Resources Reform and Development Act of 2014 (WRRDA; P.L. [public law]113-121, 33 U.S.C. [United States Code] §2282d), the 113th Congress established an annual process for identifying proposals for site-specific studies and projects within USACE's water resource mission and authorities. The Section 7001 process includes a call for nonfederal proposals and concludes with a report by the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works (ASACW) to USACE's congressional authorizing committees. In turn, these reports inform WRDA consideration. Congress last enacted a WRDA referencing prior Section 7001 reports in December 2020. Since then, USACE has published new Section 7001 reports for 2021 [hyperlink] (November 2021) and 2022 [hyperlink] (April 2022). The nonfederal proposal submission period for the 2023 report opened [hyperlink] on April 29, 2022, with an August 29, 2022, deadline. Congress established the Section 7001 process amidst congressional earmark moratorium policies [hyperlink] that applied to authorizations and appropriations during the 112th -116th Congresses. Although these policies have changed in the 117th Congress, the Section 7001 process remains active. In addition to the Section 7001 process, the House Transportation and Infrastructure [T&I] Committee website [hyperlink] and the Senate Environment and Public Works [EPW] Committee website [hyperlink] have indicated that they are considering requests by Members of Congress as part of their WRDA development."

Report Number:
CRS Insight, IN11118
Public Domain
Retrieved From:
Congressional Research Service: https://crsreports.congress.gov/
Media Type:
Help with citations