Federal Disaster Assistance for Agriculture [Updated September 29, 2021]   [open pdf - 538KB]

From the Document: "A number of federal assistance programs are designed to address agricultural losses following a natural disaster, including insurance, direct payments for loss, loans, and cost share to rehabilitate damaged lands. These programs are intended to assist producers recovering from production, financial, and physical loss related to or caused by the disaster. They are administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) through three agencies: the Risk Management Agency (RMA), the Farm Service Agency (FSA), and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). All programs have permanent authorization, and only one (the emergency loan program) requires a federal disaster designation. Many of the programs receive mandatory funding amounts that are 'such sums as necessary' and are not subject to annual discretionary appropriations. Other programs, however, require supplemental appropriations. Some programs are subject to payment limits, while others are not (e.g., crop insurance). 'Table 1' provides a brief overview of permanent USDA assistance programs for agricultural producers following a natural disaster. It is not comprehensive as it does not include temporary assistance programs, such as the Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity Program (WHIP). Other programs for community water, housing, food assistance, and wildfire support offered by USDA are also not discussed."

Report Number:
CRS In Focus, IF10565
Public Domain
Retrieved From:
Congressional Research Service: https://crsreports.congress.gov/
Media Type:
Help with citations