ABSTRACT

Household Food Security in the United States in 2020   [open pdf - 2MB]

From the Abstract: "This report provides statistics on food security in U.S. households throughout 2020 based on the Current Population Survey Food Security Supplement data collected in December 2020. An estimated 89.5 percent of U.S. households were food secure throughout the entire year in 2020, with access at all times to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members. The remaining households (10.5 percent, unchanged from 10.5 percent in 2019) were food insecure at least some time during the year, including 3.9 percent with very low food security (not significantly different from 4.1 percent in 2019). Very low food security is the more severe range of food insecurity where one or more household members experienced reduced food intake and disrupted eating patterns at times during the year because of limited money and other resources for obtaining food. Although the prevalence of food insecurity and very low food security for all households remained unchanged from 2019, some subgroups experienced increases in food insecurity and very low food security. [...] In 2020, the typical food-secure household spent 18 percent more on food than the typical food-insecure household of the same size and household composition. About 55 percent of food-insecure households participated in one or more of the three largest Federal nutrition assistance programs: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps); Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC); and the National School Lunch Program during the month prior to the 2020 survey."

Report Number:
ERR-298; Economic Research Report Number 298
Author:
Publisher:
Date:
2021-09
Series:
Copyright:
Public Domain
Retrieved From:
United States Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service: https://www.ers.usda.gov/
Format:
pdf
Media Type:
application/pdf
URL:
Help with citations