ABSTRACT

Student Threat Assessment as a Safe and Supportive Prevention Strategy, Final Technical Report   [open pdf - 2MB]

From the Executive Summary: "The three main goals of this project were to: 1) examine the statewide implementation of student threat assessment in Virginia; 2) determine what student and school outcomes are associated with student threat assessment; and 3) assess how training/technical assistance can improve student threat assessment. To achieve Goal 1, we examined data across four years from the state's annual School Safety Audit Surveys completed by all schools, the school climate surveys completed by students and staff in secondary schools, and selected interviews with school authorities. We found that all K-12 [kindergarten through twelfth grade] public schools reported having threat assessment teams and documented more than 12,000 cases during the 2017-18 school year. Although the extent of data collection varied across four years, it appears that all of the cases had been resolved without a serious injury. In approximately 97% of cases, the threat was resolved without the threat-maker attempting to carry out the threat. In the remaining 3% of cases, the threat was averted by school authorities or, in fewer than 1% of cases, involved a fight or assault that did not result in serious injury. Most students who received a threat assessment received a combination of disciplinary consequences and some form of counseling or support services. The majority (84%) of students were able to continue at their school, with the others transferred to a different school, placed on homebound instruction, or given some other disposition, such as hospitalization or incarceration."

Report Number:
NCJ No. 255102; National Criminal Justice No. 255102
Author:
Publisher:
Date:
2020-02-20
Copyright:
Public Domain
Retrieved From:
National Criminal Justice Reference System: https://www.ncjrs.gov/
Format:
pdf
Media Type:
application/pdf
URL:
Help with citations