ABSTRACT

FEMA Mitigation Best Practices: Grant Helps Small Road to Handle Its Large Responsibility   [open pdf - 31KB]

"After severe flooding damaged a 900-foot-long by 20-foot-wide section of the road's 12-inch base in October and November 2006, Evangeline Parish officials applied for and received a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) grant through the Public Assistance 406 Mitigation Program. Such funds, available following presidential disaster declarations, are used to promote life- and property-saving measures, protect infrastructure, and ultimately help build disaster-resistant communities. The program assists stateState, tribal, and local governments and certain types of private, nonprofit organizations with projects in several categories, including improvements to roads that are damaged by disasters and need to be repaired, replaced, or restored. FEMA pays 75 percent of the eligible costs of Public Assistance projects, while the state State and/or applicant cover the remaining 25 percent. For the Rixby Manual Road project, FEMA provided $101,475 of the $135,300 total cost. Once FEMA provides the grant to a state, it is the sState's responsibility to manage the funds, which includes making disbursements to local jurisdictions and organizations that incurred costs. The scope of work on Rixby Manual Road included the replacement of the damaged road base and the addition of a 24-inch corrugated polyethylene pipe and backfill to match the existing road elevation. In addition, concrete catch basins were installed every 100 feet to collect surface water during heavy rains or floods."

Publisher:
Copyright:
Public Domain
Retrieved From:
Lessons Learned Information Sharing (LLIS)
Format:
pdf
Media Type:
application/pdf
URL:
Help with citations