ABSTRACT

U.S. Fire Administration/Technical Report Series: Ten Elderly Victims from Intermediate Care Facility Fire, Colorado Springs, Colorado   [open pdf - 1MB]

"An accidental fire determined to have originated above ceiling level occurred in the early morning hours of March 4, 199l to the Crystal Springs Estates personal care boarding home in Colorado Springs, Colorado. All indicators point to this fire as having been burning in the attic undetected for some period of time, perhaps as much as an hour or more before breaking through the ceiling drywall and having smoke detectors react. Heat detectors were found in the attic but had not functioned. A pull station's use and a 911 call alerted the fire department, but upon arrival they found a fire already ventilated through roof turbines. Nine elderly occupants perished, all as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, in this fire. A tenth victim died months later of smoke aggravated lung problems."

Publisher:
Date:
1991-03-04?
Series:
Copyright:
Public Domain
Retrieved From:
Lessons Learned Information Sharing (LLIS)
Format:
pdf
Media Type:
application/pdf
URL:
Help with citations