ABSTRACT

Non-Fire Carbon Monoxide Deaths Associated with the Use of Consumer Products: 1998 Annual Estimates   [open pdf - 529KB]

"This report provides information about the number of unintentional non-fire deaths attributed to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning that were associated with the use of consumer products in 1998. According to the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) totals between 1994 and 1998, the total number of unintentional non-fire CO poisoning deaths, including those associated with consumer products under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and those associated with motor vehicle exhaust, averaged 516 annually (compared to the 1993 - 1997 average of 534). During this period, the estimated yearly average number of CO poisoning deaths attributed to motor vehicle exhaust was 316 or about 61 percent of all unintentional non-fire CO poisoning deaths (no change from 1993 - 1997). The remaining estimated 200 (39%) deaths were associated with consumer products and considered to be under the jurisdiction of the CPS C. The 1998 annual estimate of consumer product-related CO poisoning deaths was 180, identical to the previous year's estimate. No significant increase or decrease is detectable for the most recent five years of data (1994- 1998) as a result of the 1998 estimate. However, the 1998 estimate does contribute to the continuing significant downward trend in estimated CO deaths relative to 1980."

Author:
Publisher:
Date:
1999?
Copyright:
Public Domain
Retrieved From:
Texas A&M University: http://pscfiles.tamu.edu/
Format:
pdf
Media Type:
application/pdf
URL:
Help with citations