ABSTRACT

FEMA Mitigation Best Practices: Two Tangier Island Homes Rise Above the Wrath of Hurricane Isabel   [open pdf - 43KB]

"This document is part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Best Practices Portfolio. The Best Practices Portfolio is a collection of true stories about people and communities who have experienced disasters, and what mitigation they used to survive, rebuild, and prepare for disasters." From the document: "As a third generation Tangier Island resident, Sarah Crockett is no stranger to storm tides and the damages they create. 'With [Hurricane] Floyd [1999] the water got into my house, ruined the carpets and floor and stuff. Tide came in once before, too, but that was long ago.' After floodwaters broke into her home, she decided it was time to put a stop to it. Help came from FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP). FEMA provides up to 75 percent of the project cost, with the remaining 25 percent coming from some other non-Federal source. This can come from the commonwealth, local government or private sources." This and other individual FEMA Best Practices documents are also combined in "Mitigation Best Practices: Public and Private Sector Best Practice Stories for All Activity/Project Types in All States and Territories Relating to All Hazards [August 10, 2011]," which can be accessed at the following link: [https://www.hsdl.org/?abstract&did=683132]

Publisher:
Copyright:
Public Domain
Retrieved From:
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): http://www.fema.gov/
Format:
pdf
Media Type:
application/pdf
URL:
Help with citations