ABSTRACT

Highlights of the 2002-2003 National Youth Gang Surveys   [open pdf - 205KB]

"Since 1995, the National Youth Gang Center (NYGC) has conducted the National Youth Gang Survey (NYGS), an annual survey of law enforcement agencies across the United States regarding the presence and characteristics of local gang problems. This Fact Sheet summarizes NYGS findings from the 2002 and 2003 surveys. The following agencies were included in the nationally representative sample: All police departments serving cities with a population of 50,000 or more (n=626); All suburban county police and sheriff's departments (n=742); A randomly selected sample of police departments serving cities with a population between 2,500 and 49,999 (n=545); [and] A randomly selected sample of rural county police and sheriff's departments (n=492). Survey recipients were asked to report information solely for youth gangs, defined as 'a group of youths or young adults in your jurisdiction that you or other responsible persons in your agency or community are willing to identify as a "gang".' Motorcycle gangs, hate or ideology groups, prison gangs, and exclusively adult gangs were excluded from the survey. Of the 2,405 survey recipients, 2,275 (95 percent) responded to the 2002 and/or 2003 survey (1,524 responded in both survey years), and the remaining 130 (5 percent) did not respond in either survey year."

Report Number:
OJJDP Fact Sheet, No. 01; FS-200501
Author:
Publisher:
Date:
2005-06
Series:
Copyright:
Public Domain
Retrieved From:
Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention: http://www.ojjdp.ncjrs.gov/
Format:
pdf
Media Type:
application/pdf
URL:
Help with citations