ABSTRACT

School Fires   [open pdf - 138KB]

"Each year in the United States, an average of 5,500 structure fires occur in educational institutions -- public, private, and parochial schools where students attend during the day only. These fires are responsible for approximately 125 injuries, fewer than 5 fatalities, and $50.1 million in fire loss. Fires to the actual structure of educational institutions account for only 43% of fires to these properties. The remaining 57% occur outdoors and generally involve refuse or other items of little value. Therefore, this report [revised March 2002] addresses only the causes and characteristics of structure fires in schools."

Publisher:
Date:
2002-03
Copyright:
Public Domain
Retrieved From:
United States Fire Administration: http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/
Format:
pdf
Media Type:
application/pdf
Source:
United States Fire Administration Topical Fire Research Series (October 2001), v.2 no.9
URL:
Help with citations