ABSTRACT

OSHA Fact Sheet: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning   [open pdf - 67KB]

"Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas. Although it has no detectable odor, CO is often mixed with other gases that do have an odor. So, you can inhale carbon monoxide right along with gases that you can smell and not even know that CO is present. CO is a common industrial hazard resulting from the incomplete burning of natural gas and any other material containing carbon such as gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane, coal, or wood. Forges, blast furnaces and coke ovens produce CO, but one of the most common sources of exposure in the workplace is the internal combustion engine. Carbon monoxide is harmful when breathed because it displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain, and other vital organs of oxygen. Large amounts of CO can overcome you in minutes without warning---causing you to lose consciousness and suffocate."

Publisher:
Date:
2002-05
Copyright:
Public Domain
Retrieved From:
Occupational Safety & Health Administration: http://www.osha.gov/
Format:
pdf
Media Type:
application/pdf
URL:
Help with citations